Monday, April 6, 2009

Sunday in the kitchen


It was a nice spring day Sunday, so as Kate soaked up some rays, I decided to cook her a little something special. Note to Barbara: I'm not trying to muscle into your arena.


I have been thinking about making more meals for Kate, especially after I was told how much the special prescription food Kate is on now costs ($60 for 17.6 pounds — about a month's worth).

So I pulled out the Three Dog Bakery Cookbook by Dan Dye and Mark Beckloff (Andrews McMeel Publishing) and decided to try the "Lazy Day Loaf" (see the picture at the top of this entry).

Other choices were "German Shepherd's Pie," "Chicken Cat-Chiatore" and "Chowdown Cheesy Casserole."


With the oven preheating to 350 degrees, I assembled the ingredients: 1 pound ground turkey, 2 eggs, 1/8-cup skim milk, 1-1/2 cups bread crumbs, 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained) and 4 ounces low-fat Cheddar cheese (cubed).

I mixed together the turkey, eggs, milk and bread crumbs and put half that in a greased loaf pan. Then I spread the spinach on top of that and added the cubed cheese.


I topped that with the other half of the turkey mixture and popped it in the oven for 1-1/2 hours. I let it cool slightly before taking it out of the pan and then slicing it into eight servings. It should be stored in the refrigerator.




It looks pretty good, doesn't it? With a little seasoning in the turkey and the spinach, this could be quite tasty for people.

As a snack I gave Kate a small piece from the end.



She obviously enjoyed it. And yes, the end was a little crunchy. Isn't that the way meat loaf should be?

I'll probably give her a half slice at meal time along with some of her dry food.

Kate's a lucky girl, isn't she?

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I should say so!

I wonder how well the Lazy Day Loaf freezes?

Michael Woyton said...

Let's find out, Margaret. I'll put a slice in the freezer and report back.