Monday, August 3, 2009

Cone of silence?

I'm not saying Kate wasn't getting used to the plastic Elizabethan collar the vet's office supplied us, but I was having a hard time dealing with it.

It seemed heavy.


And it seemed way too long for a dog Kate's size. A colleague of mine at work said her husband cut their collar shorter, but I was afraid of razor-sharp plastic edges.

That and the fact that I wasn't getting any sleep, because every couple of hours Kate would get up, walk around the living room and kitchen and try to paw the plastic collar off her head.

So on Friday, I stopped by Petco in Poughkeepsie and saw they had Comfy Cones. What the heck; I bought one.


They are padded, lighter weight and shorter than the plastic one. Kate seemed to take to it immediately. There's even a reflective strip around the edge of the cone, for night walking.



However, I do think she looks like a member of Mummenschanz.


The cone is flexible as well, and one can even fold it back to enable the dog to eat or drink. The instructions do warn that it shouldn't be left folded back, because that could defeat the purpose of the device.

It was even flexible enough to allow Kate to retrieve some p-mail messages at a neighborhood sign post.


All in all, since we still have a week to go to protect the stitches, I think the Comfy Cone is going to help me feel better.

2 comments:

Jenny Lee said...

Kate looks happier.

Michael Woyton said...

She is happier, but she still gets the cone snagged on the corners of tables or chair legs. It completely stops her.