Friday, July 27, 2007

A visit to the dog park

We finally made it to the Fishkill, N.Y., dog park, located in Doug Phillips Park on Route 52.

You can find it here.

Kate and I went there today with my editor Maria and her pooch Roland, seen below under a tree.

For the first few minutes we were the only ones there, but eventually a few more people showed up. With their dogs, of course. Nothing is stranger than someone who comes to a dog park without a dog.

The place is pretty large, and it has a double gate so the furry ones can't escape too easily. It even has an obstacle course for those dogs so inclined.

Kate, being an old gal, was content to sit in the shade most of the time.


You can see from the video how big the place is. Maria said that she had been there on the weekend when it was jammed with dogs. There are plenty of tennis balls to throw, and even a flying disk or two. Water bottles and waste bags are hanging by the entrance. There is a hose in the back near a couple of wading pools.

Kate found it extremely convenient just to lie down next to one of the water bowls — in the shade of course.


And under a bench, too.

I think the park is wonderful, and I wish more communities would provide safe and secure places for dogs to run and play off leash. Are you listening City of Poughkeepsie?

We will definitely go there again. It only took about 20 minutes, but I think we'll go on cooler days.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Manhattan. Let me just say that this dog park is gorgeous! 'Nuff said?

Anonymous said...

P.S. from Manhattan: Kate looks terrific. She may not want to do the obstacle course & she may prefer the shade, but she's obviously alive, alert & enjoying life! Ya-a-a-a Kate!

sarah said...

I agree THE CITY OF POK NEEDS A DOG PARK! What great way to create open space and provide residents with an amenity!

Anonymous said...

My pooch and I travel to Thomas Bull Memorial Park in Orange County. That park is also very nice, however i work here in Fishkill. I wish Newburgh or New Windsor would make a dog park, that would be even more convienient! thanks for the info! :o)

Jennywrites said...

I live in Fishkill and frequent this park often. I'm sad to report it's currently closed, and we aren't sure why. Hopefully not permanently.

Your dog is beautiful. I'm glad she enjoyed herself!

Michael Woyton said...

I believe it's closed for the winter months.

blatherskite. said...

Thanks for your review on the Fishkill dog park! Hudson Valley dog parks seem so few and far between!