Monday, May 19, 2008

Kate's eating healthy

I was given a book by Catskill, N.Y., residents Corbett Marshall and Jim Deskevich called Eco Dog, which I will be doing a story about soon for the Life section.

The premise is healthy living for your dog using recycled materials, safe cleaning products and organic foods. The publisher is Chronicle Books.

They have a couple of recipes in the book, and, of course, I chose the simplest one to try.

It's called "Quick Dog Treats," and the ingredients, in their entirety, are wheat germ and two small jars of baby food — organic, of course. Mix the ingredients. Roll into balls. Put on greased baking sheets. Flatten with the back of a fork. Pop into a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Give to your dog.

Never one to completely follow recipes, I did not use organic wheat germ. Didn't feel like paying an arm and a leg for it at a health food store, so I used the good old bottled wheat germ from the grocery store. And this time I didn't bother flattening with a fork; I used my fingers.

My treats don't look anything like the picture in the book. (Click on the picture to embiggen for a closer look.)


That didn't matter to Kate.



This is the second time I've made these. The first was with peas and brown rice organic baby food (OK, I panicked in the baby food aisle of Stop & Shop). Today I made it with sweet potato and turkey organic baby food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kate's good manners are surpassed only by her very healthy appetite!

I'd love to make these for our 4-year old pup, but she's battling a weight problem. How, at 13, does Kate ever manage to maintain that girlish figure of hers?

Michael Woyton said...

Thanks. She's always been trim. I'm careful about her portion size and judicious amounts of treats.

I think it's especially important to keep her slim as she ages and gets less active.