Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Shoulda zigged

I won't tell anyone. I promise.

Have you ever tripped over your pet?

I haven't fallen because Kate decided to go one way when I was trying to go another, but I've come close.

Turns out, more than 86,000 serious falls each year involve cats and dogs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Here's an Associated Press article about it.

The study looked at 66 U.S. hospitals from 2001 through 2006, checking patient charts for mentions of cats and dogs in nonfatal injuries.

Dogs, naturally, were blamed in most of the injuries, tripping people, startling them and pushing and pulling them. Dog toys and chasing after pets running away were also causes.

Pets are a disproportionate hazard for senior citizens, CDC officials said, advising them to improve lighting, remove pet toys and use obedience training.

If you want to see the CDC report, go here.

No comments: