Friday, October 16, 2009

The long goodbye — hopefully


It's difficult to write about things that affect you personally and deeply, but I will and hope to make some sense of it.

I received word yesterday that Kate has kidney failure. The vet said it could be a matter of months or longer.

I am hoping for longer.

On Sunday, Kate seemed fine. Her appetite was good. We went out for a walk around the complex; she sniffed, she peed, she pooped. Life was good.

She followed me upstairs when I went to bed something she hadn't been doing on a regular basis.

When I got up Monday morning, I wanted to get her downstairs while I went about getting ready for work. Kate got up from the pallet and followed me to the stairs, but she wouldn't go any further. I couldn't make her take a step off the top landing. So I got her leash and tried coercing her.

Eventually, Kate got a little less than halfway down, so I picked her up and carried her down the rest of the way.

Once on the main floor, she acted unsteady, almost awkward, bumping into bookcases, doors and furniture. And she wouldn't eat her food. She acted as if her back legs were alternately not supporting her or she was in some discomfort. I even elevated her food and water bowls so she didn't have to bend down as far.

I had some coated low-dose aspirin in the medicine cabinet so I gave her one pill.

A call to the vet got me an appointment in the afternoon.

Kate seemed to be a little better when I stopped by at lunch. It seemed the aspirin helped a little.

I got her to the vet and she was checked over. No temperature. Very little response when the vet waved her fingers in front of her eyes, so the eyes were beginning to fail.

The vet ruled out any neurological problem, because Kate was reactive to her manipulations.

Blood was drawn. Finally, the vet called Thursday with the results and said it was kidney failure.

Kate is 14; she'll be 15 in January. Doing the math puts her at 98, if indeed one equals seven.

The vet said it was age-related, manifesting in weight loss, increased urination, weakened appetite. Her blood tests were fine in May, so the problem is fairly recent.

She could have months; it could be longer.

So now we wait and watch.

I knew I wouldn't have her forever. But even going on 15 years, it still seems like not enough time.

4 comments:

sarah said...

oh michael, I'm so sorry! this is the kind of news every pet owner dreads. lets pray it is a long and painless road ahead.

on a lighter note, if you find yourself lonely someday, I know a mini pin who would love to come live with you :-)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Woyton,

Devastating news. If it is any consolation, I had a pet diagnosed with a terminal disease and given only weeks to live. Her zest for life was strong and she lived over 1 and ½ years longer than expected with a decent quality of life. I have weathered illnesses with my pets, lost many treasured friends and faithful companions over the years, and it never gets easier. My thoughts and hugs to you and Kate.

Sue said...

Michael-

I had the pleasure of meeting Kate last year. You are lucky to have such a sweet, good-natured companion. She is lucky to have such an attentive and caring owner.

We have had to say goodbye to pets that left us way before they should have and others that lived well past their prime. The first instance was hard, the second much harder. It was some comfort seeing how calmly our old dogs handled the natural order of events - much better than the humans they lived with.

I would highly recommend acupuncture treatment if Kate should be in pain. It did wonders for our little terrier and made his last days with us much more comfortable.

Know that you both are in our thoughts.

Sue and Flo

Anonymous said...

It is a tribute to you that she has lived a long and happy life.