Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Calling Sargent Sausage

From the Culpepper (Va.) Star Exponent (great name for a newspaper, don't you think?), comes the most popular pet names for 2009.

The list was prepared by Veterinary Pet Insurance.

Topping the dog names is Bella, with Max in second place. For cats, Max is tops, but Bella is at third place.

I love some of the unusual names. But I can't ever imagine going to a dog park and having to call for Bam-Bam Noodle Butt to stop whatever he is doing.

In Jan. 2008, I did a story about popular dog names in the mid-Hudson Valley. The database, while a little out of date, is still accessible and fun to try. Find it here.

And the name in the title isn't a typo. I'm assuming the person named his dog after John Singer Sargent (the famous painter) and his favorite meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weirdest name I ever heard of did not belong to a dog or a cat, but to a guinea pig: Cocoa Fluffy Hurricane. My son and his classmates could not agree which name was best for their class pet, so they simply combined the three top choices.