Sunday, January 17, 2010

Update on Kate

Let's just say I wasn't exactly satisfied with my veterinarian's prognosis for Kate back in October.

After having told me that Kate had kidney failure, the vet said there was nothing that could be done and I could feed her anything.

That didn't jive with what I'd read and heard, especially with the availability of restricted protein diets used in renal failure.

So I went to another vet who was recommended by a friend, and he did blood tests, along with a urinalysis, something the previous vet did not do.

The results came back as mild-to-moderate renal failure. But there was no protein in the urine (a good sign). Other indicators were not as dire as I was previously told.

He gave me a homemade diet recipe, which, with the exception of adding calcium carbonate, I had pretty much been doing already.

The key is to keep Kate eating, and maybe put some weight back on her.

So far, so good.

No comments: