Monday, June 18, 2007

Are you a dog person?

I was looking around the Interwebs for blog ideas and ran across "You know you are a dog person when ..." lists. Most of the lists were enormous, covering every single facet, seemingly, of life with a dog. I've whittled down the list to a manageable size and present it here with my comments, with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy.

You know you are a dog person when ...

Sticky rollers are on your shopping list every week. Guilty, but not every week.

You have baby gates permanently installed at strategic places around the house, but no babies. This is a bad thing? I keep a gate at the foot of the stairs so Kate doesn't wear out her legs going up and down all day when someone passes by the house.

The trash basket is more or less permanently installed in the kitchen sink, to keep the dog out of it while you're at work. Not in the sink, but after a nasty encounter with a roasted chicken carcass, every trash can that receives food has a lid.

Your dog sleeps with you. Duh. But not in the summer.

You have 32 different names for your dog. Most make no sense, but she understands. Only 4 or 5.

You like people who like your dog. You despise people who don't. Not true at all. I just feel sorry for those who don't like Kate.

You carry dog biscuits in your purse or pocket at all times. Luckily, I've found kibble in my pants pockets before they went through the washing machine.

You open your purse, and that big bunch of baggies you use for pick-ups pops out. I don't carry a purse, but I've gotten to the newsroom and found plastic baggies in my pockets. Unused, I hasten to add.

You are the only idiot walking in the pouring rain because your dog needs her walk. I don't consider myself an idiot for attending to my dog's needs.

Your friend's dog acts as Best Dog at your wedding. You've got to be kidding.

You keep an extra water dish in your second-floor bedroom, in case your dog gets thirsty at night (after all, her other dish is way down on the first floor...). Never thought of this ... but ... no.

I don't know which is stranger, that this guy sings to Juanito, his dog, or that he posts the activity on Youtube.

No comments: