Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Dear Mr. President


An open letter to President Barack Obama

Dear President Obama:

Congratulations on your new job. I hope you and your family are settling into your new digs.

Speaking of your family, I don't need to remind you that you made a promise to Sasha and Malia to get them a dog after the Inauguration.

The only problem was Malia has allergies and the dog of choice needs to be one that won't aggravate them.

Well, sir, the Dutchess County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Hyde Park, N.Y. — home, I hasten to add, of Franklin Delano Roosevelt — has the perfect dog for you.

DCSPCA Executive Director Joyce Garrity said Rosie, a 4-month-old cream-colored poodle with a long tail, fits the ticket.

Garrity said the undocked tail makes Rosie resemble a "doodle" more than a poodle.

She also said 25 percent of animals in shelters across the country are purebred.

"But, as I always remind the staff, we are the home of the original 'designer' dogs," Garrity said. "For over 137 years, the DCSPCA has been adopting mixed breed dogs to families, and they make outstanding companions."

Rosie is currently living with a foster family who will formally adopt her if you choose another dog.

So I urge you, Mr. President, to use that snazzy new BlackBerry and call Garrity at the DCSPCA administrative offices at 845-454-5345. The shelter is located at 636 Violet Ave.

Or if you would rather, I would be happy to broker a meeting between you or your representatives and Garrity.

I urge you to consider Rosie for your family.

Who's a good girl? Rosie is.

Sincerely,

Michael Woyton
Blogger, "Dogs, Cats, Etc."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully this will reach eyes in the Whitehouse. What an adorable dog, & even her age is perfect! Hmmmm, maybe I can forward it to an address at whitehouse.gov. Yes, I think I will!

GS in NY

Michael Woyton said...

Thanks, GS in NY.

Send it on to whitehouse.gov!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I did! It was very easy & I'm very happy to know about this possibility. From being interested in pets & animals, I might become interested in politics! er...., no, probably not, but this particular presidency has distinct possibilities. They've even made an interesting & excellent choice for a family chef. Can a First Pet be far behind?

GS in NY