Friday, April 6, 2007

Niki and Molly

Niki from Red Hook, N.Y., couldn't resist e-mailing me about her dog Molly:

Molly is my very best friend. She is a 9-year-old golden retriever and is an honorary member of the Red Hook Rotary. She is a certified therapy dog and visits med surge at Northern Dutchess Hospital and she also visits some very special friends that have physical and emotional problems. Molly works approximately 4 days a week and is "on call" when she is needed. The doctors have called her when someone needs a little cheering!

Molly not only makes my family and me smile but she make so many others feel her joy for life.

Just to give you a little hint of what she does:

A patient had a stroke and could not move her left hand, so she proceeded to pet Molly with her right. "None of that!" says Molly. Molly proceeded to move to the patient's left side and kept nudging and kissing her left hand and so the patient had no alternative but to lift her left hand with her right and pet Molly. A miracle? No, says Molly, that left hand had to be moved and what better place but on my forehead!

Another episode. A patient asked me why we bring Molly to visit them. I asked him to look in the mirror; he had the broadest smile on his face as he continued to pet Molly. A smile replacing the face of loneliness and frustration when we came in.

And what is Molly's pay for all her hard work? A lot of hugs, kisses, smiles and the satisfaction that today she made one person happy.

Well, that's my little story and there's so much more. Molly's getting a little embarrassed by all this talk, so I'll close for now.

Good dog!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm...Mike, how about some more dob vs. cat video?

Michael Woyton said...

I'm looking for more. Anybody have any suggestions?