Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Pulling is for dog sleds

A recent post about Kate sleeping on my couch led to a little confusion for and a question from Kat from Queens:
I've just moved in with my boyfriend and his dog.
She's generally a good dog, but there are a few things
that drive me nuts and I'm looking for possible
solutions from you and/or your readers:

She sheds like crazy and I can't keep her off the
people furniture (she's got a lot of her *own*
furniture, she's not deprived!!) I saw you wrote
something about special shedding sheets for the couch?

Now, she's definitely not my dog, but I do walk her
when my boyfriend is away. And it's weird, but while
she'll listen to me inside the apartment, she pulls
like crazy and doesn't listen nearly as well outside.
What's the best way to stop the pulling? (She's not a
huge dog, like, Tammy's Coal, but she's big enough and
strong) She also likes to lunge at other dogs - any
thoughts on how to socialize her better?

Thank you!

There are no special sheets that minimize shedding. I wish! I only meant that I keep a sheet covering the couch so that her many hairs don't end up on the upholstery. I've said it many times before: sticky rollers are man's best friend, especially if you have man's other best friend.

As far as the pulling, I'm no Dog Whisperer, but I did work with a trainer when I first got Kate. She was a real puller (Kate, not the trainer).

Dogs do like to lead, especially when outside. I've walked with other dogs and their owners and it's been a real contest between the two mutts to see who get "there" first.

The trainer and I used a prong collar to great effect, though some people aren't fond of them (they look scary, but I swear they are power steering for dogs). They are used along with, not instead of, a choker. Eventually I didn't need the prong collar ... nor did Kate!

Some people like Halti-type collars. To me, they look complicated. But that's just me.

Socialization is a process that takes time and patience. And you need other friendly dogs around on a regular basis to make it work. I'd bet there's a trainer in your neighborhood you could help you out.

3 comments:

sarah said...

So, this is probably going to sound awful, BUT...

There are these inventions called training collars, and I have used both the spray and then the (GASP) shock methods. You can setup up your pouch so that if he comes within X distance from the couch, the collar emits spray/shock/noise. Eventually, the pouch stays away from the couch. This I haven't tried.

I have used training collars to control my dog's excessive barking. I found the more humane spray collar was ineffective over time. The shock collar, however, makes him as quiet as a mouse, just if I show him it. 99 percent of the time, I don't use it.

Michael Woyton said...

Yeah, they sound worse than they are. Besides it is all about training the dog to not do something. People use shock collars -- and let's remember, we aren't talking Tasers here -- with invisible fences to great success. To keep Kate off a sleeper sofa in my home office I place a lidded tin can with a few coins just at the edge of the furniture. If she attempts to jump up the can will fall to the floor and make a startling sound. I found the can on the floor only once.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. You're right. The prong collars are a blessing. They don't hurt at all unless you give a hard, quick, yank. It works on Coal. He walks like charm thanks to that thing.
Kat-as for the shedding, sometimes it's just better to brush the dog once a day. I don't know what kind of fur Roxy has but even if it doesn't help, she'll love you for it.