Saturday, May 26, 2007

The couch conundrum

I was talking to a friend the other night and, of course, our conversation eventually got around to our dogs.

In particular, our dogs' leaving hair all over everything.

My friend was wondering how she can keep her dog off the furniture. With Kate, I've tried reasoning, but that is not usually successful.

I am not opposed to closing off whole sections of the house. If there are enough doors or baby gates, it can be done. And people shouldn't feel bad that their pups are restricted to certain rooms. You can't get upset with your dog for sleeping on your new sofa if you give it access to it.

If closing off a room isn't practical, like my current home, I've used strategically placed baby gates and books to keep Kate from climbing up on the upholstery.

There is also a trick I've used successfully. Over the years, I've been given several tin decorative containers that have secure fitting lids. I put a few coins in them and perch them on the edge of the sofa cushions.

If Kate tries to climb on the couch, the container will fall to the floor with a clattering sound. The noise startles her and teaches her not to climb on the couch.

I've only found the container on the floor once.

No comments: