Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Dog parks are good for the neighborhood

Realty experts are saying that dog parks are a good thing.

An article in Realty Times says that dog parks within walkable distances from their new homes are important to home buyers.

The article says, in part:
Many first-time and repeat home buyers in suburban and urban communities want to include a nearby dog park as a day-to-day way to integrate their favored pooch into their next hood.
It also gives tips about what to look for in a dog park and some do's and don'ts (i.e., etiquette) when visiting dog parks.

I'm a great fan of dog parks. I would take Kate to the dog run at the American Museum of Natural History about two blocks from our apartment in Manhattan a couple of times a day when I first got her. Remember, a tired dog is a happy owner.

I wish there were a dog run near where we live in the City of Poughkeepsie. Kate and I would be there in a second.

But dog runs aren't for everyone. I remember going to the run in Riverside Park in Manhattan one Saturday morning, just for a change of pace. It was much smaller than the one near the museum.

Kate was playing with a collie and they were both mouthing each other's necks. The collie's owner broke up the play session a couple of minutes after it started. She said my Kate was showing her teeth and that was bad for her dog. She neglected to mention that her collie was doing the same thing and neither dog was making physical contact with their teeth. In situations like this, it is best to just walk away.

Of course, there was the time that a dog owner — bear in mind, this was in neurotic New York — that got upset with me that Kate intercepted a tossed ball that was meant for her dog. Jeeze, they are dogs. Cut them some slack.

Here's a vid of a civilized dog park in St. Louis.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice video. Very nice people. Very nice dogs. Almost as good as actually being at a dog park. Thanks.

Leslie Coons said...

Great video! I wish there was a dog park in northern Dutchess -- Charlie (my needs-to-be-more-active English springer spaniel) and I would be there all the time.

Michael Woyton said...

Leslie, wouldn't it be nice to have a dog park close by? As long as the people are sane, it can be a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

There is a dog park in East Fishkill at the Doug Phillips Park on Rt 52 (just past the Routes 52 & 82 intersection if you are coming from Route 9). May be a little too far from Poughkeepsie but it's a decent sized park with some agility equipment and lots of room to run around and explore.

Michael Woyton said...

Yes, the dog park in East Fishkill is a tad out of the way. I'd rather spend that travel time on a long walk. But I will try and get Kate out there just for the heck of it sometime.

Anonymous said...

There's the sculpture park in the city of pok that doesn't really serve a purpose. It would make a great dog park. But one of my friends pointed out the popularity of Pit Bulls in the area, and the fact that, lets face it, people are fighting them. I wouldn't want my dog to get into "the ring" with a dog that is used for fighting. I won't mention what I'd like to do to their owners...

Anonymous said...

The Fishkill Dog Park is not safe for small dogs and puppies. There should be a separate area for them, as there is at most dog parks.