Friday, May 4, 2007

Kate's annual checkup


I took Kate for her annual checkup and shots today. There was a little trepidation on my part because we were going to a new vet. Our previous vet in Shekomeko is just too far away, unfortunately. Kate doesn't travel well, and besides, I think it is important to have a vet/physician nearby.

The Shekomeko vet recommended someone in the area and I took her at her word. And after meeting the vet, I am pleased with the choice.

Kate is doing fine, considering she's 12 years old. She is "fit trim," according to the vet, and that is a good thing. There is some bluing of her eyes, which seems to be normal for her age. Heart and lungs sound good, too.

In six months, we're going to have a blood test done to see how well she would tolerate anesthesia, so the tartar on her teeth can be addressed. And I picked up a tooth-care kit today and promised to use it on a regular basis.

The old gal herself did not want to be on the examination table. She kept trying to jump over the nurse who was amazingly able to hold onto her.

I remember one time back in NYC when I took her to the vet for the annual checkup and shots and Kate would have none of it. She wiggled, she squirmed, she made every effort to get the hell out of there. But, alas, the shots had not been administered and the blood had not been drawn.

The vet was trying to insert the needle to take a blood sample and there were three of us surrounding Kate, attempting to keep her in one place until the deed was done. Yes, we were all covered in hair, only a small part of it our own.

The needle was poised, ready to find a vein or artery, which was necessary for the sample — and Kate bucked.

If it had been a movie, it would have been in slow motion. I saw the needle and syringe at once in the vet's hands begin an arching movement that traveled between the nurse and me and fly over my shoulder. It landed on the floor behind us.

Whew!

Today's shots were uneventful. Kate is a trooper. And she didn't even throw up in the car.

A good day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My cat, Wookiee, has a very bad reputation with vets around the country. I think there is an abnormally high number of people calling in sick the day she has her appointments. (It's the real reason I have to keep moving.) She's also been banned for life from Petco, after tearing a groomer's hands to shreds...she actually had to leave work early to go home (or maybe it was to the emergency room?) to get her hands bandaged. Wook still has her claws. And she is most certainly not afraid to use them. I should maybe have called her Princess or Angel instead?

Maria

Michael Woyton said...

Maria, I have a friend down in the city whose cat terrorized a vet's office. Yet somehow she's managed to clip its nails.

Anonymous said...

Did I mention my cat's name was Wookiee? She likes to live up to the name.